Flying Eagle Events Ltd
The 1Zambia MTB race has become the highlight of the MTB calendar in Zambia, and the 5th edition will maintain all the features that make this race unique. Participants should look forward to the warm and friendly hospitality of the Zambian people as they take on the challenge of navigating over 250km of wild and remote trails via GPS; twisting through remote valleys; enjoying panoramic views; and finally finishing on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River for an unforgettable prize giving on a picturesque island. The 1Zambia MTB race sure is a unique experience in the African mountain bike scene. We haven’t found a race to compare it to yet…
Teams of 2 take on a 3 day mountain bike stage race following hilly village footpaths and remote escarpment jeep tracks via GPS through rural tribal bushland for a truly African finish on the banks of the Zambezi River. We are targeting all mountain bike enthusiasts with a taste for fresh adventure and the unknown!
1 Zambia MTB Self accommodation
- ZAR10, 500 per team
- No Accommodation included
- Stage 1, 2, 3 lunch
- Stage 3 dinner
- (*For those riders living in Zambia this is otherwise known as the self accommodation option)
Lilayi Lodge Tented accommodation
- ZAR15, 750 per team
- 3 Nights tented accommodation at Lilayi Lodge (Thurs/Fri/Sat)
- Does not include lower Zambezi accommodation for the Sunday night
- Including all meals (excludes bar beverages)
- Each rider has their own tent and comfortable mattress
- Riders to bring own sleeping bag and pillow.
STAGE 3 (Sunday) Finish Lower Zambezi Accommodation Options
Everyone needs to select an option for Stage 3 Sunday Night Accommodation . Book Kiambi Lodge or Kanyemba lodge when checking out.
- Lower Zambezi accommodation (book Kiambi Lodge when registering online or book Kanyemba Lodge directly (http://www.kanyemba.com/)
- Tourist Visa fees for Zambia (USD 50)
- Alcoholic beverages or unsponsored soft drinks and bar menu items supplied from the bar (cash bar basis)
- Cycling clothes, equipment and spares
- Transfers from/to the airport and lower Zambezi
- Bicycle insurance for lost or damaged bikes
- 75% of entry fee is refunded if cancellation is done in March and earlier
- 50% of entry fee is refunded if cancellation is done in April
- 0% of entry fee is refunded if cancellation is done in May (if at this late stage, you or your partner, or both, is unable to participate, please arrange a substitution)
- Under no circumstances will an entry be rolled over
THURSDAY 31 MAY ’18
Tickets will be on sale at the Race Info Desk at Lilayi Lodge race village for non-riders wishing to attend the sandbank prize giving function & dinner.
USD20 per adult & kids free. Please note if you registered after 15/04/18 we cannot guarantee your requested cycle jersey or T shirt size choice.
Please note that the maps and altitude profiles below are from previous events and will only give you a rough idea of each stage. Every year the race organisers will make changes to various sections of the routes. However, the distances and vertical ascent for each stage will be more or less the same each year and stage 3 will never get any shorter. The current and exact GPX files will only be released to registered participants 3 days prior to the event.
THE WAKE UP CALL
THE NANKANGA TOUR
06.00 Breakfast 07.30Start Stage 2 – ‘The Nankanga Tour’From 10.30 Expected stage winners arrival at Lilayi Lodge12.00 – 15.00 Lunch 15.00 – 18.00 Massages 18.00 – 19.00 Dinner, Stage 2 winner announcements & Stage 2 highlights video screening Approx. 70km made up of some fast flowing single and jeep track all the way down to the periphery of the landmark Nankanga Hill; Knuckle Sandwich and Home Bake Hill will remind you that you never trained hard enough and Endless Summer will remind you why you always want to keep coming back for more…
MOMENTS OF TRUTH
05.00 Breakfast 06.30 Start stage 3 – ‘Moments of Truth’From 11.00 Expected stage winners arrival at Kiambi Lodge, Lower Zambezi 12.00 – 15.00 Lunch15.30 – 16.30 Departure from Kiambi Lodge to Kanyemba Island for prize giving 17.00 Prize giving with snacks/drinks/craft beer on the sandbank18.00Return to mainland 18.00 – 19.00 Dinner upon arrival, Stage 3 highlights video screening, enter the “Zambezi Fines Master”
Approx. 105km journey which flies down the gullet of Lonely Planet and Straight Forward into the scenic water point 2 in the Middle of Nowhere, survive many Moments of Truth, and look out for cool air from the Kafue River as you push onward to the finish line on the banks of the Lower Zambezi. You’ve just experienced something unique…
More information: 1zambiamtb.com/
This event supports team entries for certain classes, but teams must consist of 2 participants per team.
Lilayi Lodge, Lusaka